Subject: [OMPI devel] MCA base component changes
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-21 16:19:11

Short version:
==============

MCA base component changes were a bit more extensive than we
anticipated. Please test the following hg tree on your systems before
we bring it into the SVN trunk this Friday evening:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/hg/hgwebdir.cgi/jsquyres/mca-base-updates/

Longer version:
===============

Per Josh's and my RFCs, we did a bunch of work in a clone-able HG:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/hg/hgwebdir.cgi/jsquyres/mca-base-updates/

After starting, we decided that changing the MCA base revision number
to 2.0.0 also meant changing *ALL* the framework version numbers.
This is because the same components from framework <foo> compiled with
MCA base version 1.x.x would not be binary compatible when compiled
with MCA base version 2.0.0 (the mca_base_component_t struct is a
different size, for example). So it seemed like we needed to make a
large change: we changed both the MCA base and every framework
interface version to v2.0.0, which entails touching every framework
base and every component.

This ended up being a lot bigger change than we anticipated. But at
least the vast majority of the changes are pretty simple s/<version1>/
2.0.0/g kinds of things. The coll fw was a bit tricky because long
ago we prototyped it to handle multiple framework interface versions;
so you'll see a bunch of changes in there.

We have tested what we could, but would *really* appreciate if people
could clone and test this hg before we bring it in to the SVN trunk
Friday evening (my RFC's timeout was this upcoming Friday evening).

Thanks.

Cisco Systems