Subject: [OMPI devel] Framework selection
From: Ralph H Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 12:12:43

I ran into something unexpected today relative to the selection of
frameworks. It was totally unplanned, and may be an error on my part - or I
may be expecting the incorrect behavior. However, since others may encounter
it unexpectedly as well, I am sending this to the list.

What I had done was:

1. set OMPI_MCA_routed=direct in my environment

2. (much later) executed: mpirun ... -mca routed binomial ...

What happened was that mpirun selected the direct routed module, while my
application procs selected the binomial module. This unfortunately doesn't
generate a warning, but rather segfaults and/or hangs at some unpredictable
time depending upon the invoked communication patterns.

It was my understanding that the cmd line should override anything in the
environment. Is this no longer true? I checked and orterun does indeed
process the cmd line prior to invoking orte_init.

Or did I inadvertently do something wrong here (other than the fact that I
had forgotten the envar was set)?

Thanks
Ralph