Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Question about priority
From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-23 09:56:52

Unfortunately, as Jeff pointed out, the behavior of frameworks and
components in determining component selection is not consistent in the
codebase. The mca_base_select() commit made things much better, but
there are still frameworks that do not (or cannot) use it, and there
are some behaviors that are just not well defined.

Consistency issues lead to user (and developer) confusion and degrade
the image of the project. For exactly those reasons I want to talk
about a number of such issues in one of our technical meeting this
summer (this issue is currently scheduled for the July meeting). The
goal is to come out of that meeting with a coding standard behavior
for components during open/selection/close. Frameworks and components
can diverge from this base standard, but then it is the responsibility
of the component writer to make sure this is clearly communicated to
users about expectations.

To answer your question though, an individual component can determine
what to return for the {priority,module} pair based on anything it
wishes. For instance the SLURM PLM component will return NULL if it
does not see the correct environment variables, and a working module
if it does. Collectives are a special type of framework so the
selection logic there is specialized, meaning it does not use the
mca_base_select function, but uses a more custom version of select.

If you supply "^component" then the component is never opened and thus
never queried during selection. If you specify 0 for the priority of
the hierarch component the the component is opened, and will just
return NULL during selection. If you specify > 0 for the priority then
the hierarch component will return a module to the selection code.
This module will be used if the hierarch component has the 'best'
priority, otherwise the hierarch component should be closed
[hierarch_component_close] at the end of the selection code.
Determining the 'best' priority and whether or not the components are
closed at the end of selection is determined by the coll/base select
function.

I think I may have just made things seem more complex than they
probably are.

-- Josh