Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Question about priority
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-23 07:14:55

We may not have this uniform throughout the code base -- this is one
of the things we wanted to talk about in the Bay area meeting. I
believe that the allowable range for priorities should be [0, 100],
and that if you don't want to be selected, you should return NULL (or
use some other mechanism to indicate that you didn't want to be
selected). That was the original intent of the MCA selection
mechanisms, at least.

Josh -- is this consistent with what you found when you consolidated a
lot of this stuff?

On May 22, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Rolf vandeVaart wrote:

> I know there was some recent discussion about priority of components,
> but I wanted to double check. I am trying to understand what
> priority =
> 0 means.
>
> My assumption is the following:
> priority >= 0 means the component is selectable
> priority < 0 means the component is not selectable
>
> I ask this because in some of the collective code it looks like a
> priority = 0 means not selectable. Not a big deal, but I am trying to
> fix a memory leak and I need to get this piece right. And I assume
> that
> priority < 0 will give one the same behavior as ^component but the
> code
> paths within Open MPI would be different.
>
> Rolf

Cisco Systems