Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Linuxes shipping libibverbs
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 17:18:01

On May 22, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>> Can you see if /dev/infiniband exists? If it does, the OpenFabrics
>> kernel drivers are running. If not, they aren't.
>
> Negative -- I have no /dev/infiniband. So his test idea seems
> feasible which is nice!

Good!

>>> Do you have any information whether OFED is in fact packaged for
> Debian? It may not be, and hence no file ...

OFED is one distribution of the OpenFabrics software. It can be
bundled up and packaged differently, too. I suspect that Debian does
not include OFED directly, because OFED is pretty heavily dependent
upon RPM. So the OpenFabrics kernel bits must be there somewhere
(libibverbs would be useless, otherwise); it would be nice to
understand how they are activated: either manually or automatically.

>> So if you have this init.d file, perhaps it's a question of checking
>> the chkconfig levels upon installation...?
>
> Don't have it, but then again, my personal installation is in no way
> authorative for all of Debian.

Could you check with some of your other Debian maintainers?

Cisco Systems