Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Linuxes shipping libibverbs
From: Dirk Eddelbuettel (edd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 16:30:52

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 04:19:05PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On May 22, 2008, at 4:07 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > Is there a test I could run for you?
>
> Can you see if /dev/infiniband exists? If it does, the OpenFabrics
> kernel drivers are running. If not, they aren't.

Negative -- I have no /dev/infiniband. So his test idea seems
feasible which is nice!

> > Also, if this test depends on the Debian kernel packages, then we're
> > back to square one as some folks (like myself) run binary kernels,
> > other may just hand-compile and this test may not work as we may miss
> > the 'Debian trigger' in those cases.
>

> The OpenFabrics kernel drivers are implemented as kernel modules, so
> it's mainly just a question of loading them it to start them running.
> For example, in the official OFED distribution, it comes with /etc/

Do you have any information whether OFED is in fact packaged for
Debian? It may not be, and hence no file ...

> init.d/openibd -- "start" loads the kernel modules and does all the
> necessary initialization, "stop" unloads everything, etc.
>
> So if you have this init.d file, perhaps it's a question of checking
> the chkconfig levels upon installation...?

Don't have it, but then again, my personal installation is in no way
authorative for all of Debian.

Dirk