Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Linuxes shipping libibverbs
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 16:19:05

On May 22, 2008, at 4:07 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Is there a test I could run for you?

Can you see if /dev/infiniband exists? If it does, the OpenFabrics
kernel drivers are running. If not, they aren't.

> Also, if this test depends on the Debian kernel packages, then we're
> back to square one as some folks (like myself) run binary kernels,
> other may just hand-compile and this test may not work as we may miss
> the 'Debian trigger' in those cases.

The OpenFabrics kernel drivers are implemented as kernel modules, so
it's mainly just a question of loading them it to start them running.
For example, in the official OFED distribution, it comes with /etc/
init.d/openibd -- "start" loads the kernel modules and does all the
necessary initialization, "stop" unloads everything, etc.

So if you have this init.d file, perhaps it's a question of checking
the chkconfig levels upon installation...?

Cisco Systems