Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Linuxes shipping libibverbs
From: Brian W. Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-21 11:14:17

I think having a parameter to turn off the warning is a great idea. So
great in fact, that it already exists in the trunk and v1.2 :)! Setting
the default value for the btl_base_warn_component_unused flag from 0 to 1
will have the desired effect.

I'm not sure I agree with setting the default to 0, however. The warning
has proven extremely useful for diagnosing that IB (or less often GM or
MX) isn't properly configured on a compute node due to some random error.
It's trivially easy for any packaging group to have the line

   btl_base_warn_component_unused = 0

added to $prefix/etc/openmpi-mca-params.conf during the install phase of
the package build (indeed, our simple build scripts at LANL used to do
this on a regular bases due to our need to tweek the OOB to keep IPoIB
happier at scale).

I think keeping the Debian guys happy is a good thing. Giving them an
easy way to turn off silly warnings is a good thing. Removing a known
useful warning to help them doesn't seem like a good thing.

Brian