Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] heterogeneous OpenFabrics adapters
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-12 18:44:08

After looking at the code a bit, I realized that I completely forgot
that the INI file was invented to solve at least the heterogeneous-
adapters-in-a-host problem.

So I amended the ticket to reflect that that problem is already
solved. The other part is not, though -- consider two MPI procs on
different hosts, each with an iWARP NIC, but one NIC supports SRQs and
one does not.

On May 12, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> I think that this issue has come up before, but I filed a ticket
> about it because at least one developer (Jon) has a system with both
> IB and iWARP adapters:
>
> https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/1282
>
> My question: do we care about the heterogeneous adapter scenarios?
> For v1.3? For v1.4? For ...some version in the future?
>
> I think the first issue I identified in the ticket is grunt work to
> fix (annoying and tedious, but not difficult), but the second one
> will be a little dicey -- it has scalability issues (e.g., sending
> around all info in the modex, etc.).
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems