Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [OMPI users] OpenMPI Internals & Static-Analysis.
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-08 07:24:10

On May 8, 2008, at 5:06 AM, Mukesh K Srivastava wrote:

> Hi.

Greetings! There probably isn't much need to CC both lists; this
question is probably more suited for the devel list. I'm following up
to both lists so that the answer is archived on the web properly, but
if there's any followups to this, let's just use the devel list.
Thanks!

> Out of curiosity, was looking to know -
>
> Query#1: Does OpenMPI has any document related with OpenMPI Internals?

Unfortunately not. :-(

> Query#2: Does any slides talks of OpenMPI internals, If yes, any
> links for the same?

We have a few papers that talk about the generalities of our
internals, but nothing down to the code level details. FWIW, various
parts of OMPI are more documented than others in code comments (e.g.,
OPAL is fairly well documented in header files, etc.). Most framework
interfaces for their modules and components at least reasonably well.

The devel list is probably your best bet for asking questions, etc.

> Query#3: Do any Static-Analysis open-source tools are available for
> analyzing OpenMPI?
> Probably, Coverity "Prevent" does provide static-
> analysis but does it work for OpenMPI too?

Yes, Coverity is actually an Open MPI project partner. They analyze
the OMPI nightly tarballs (starting with the upcoming v1.3 series --
we didn't use Coverity for the v1.2 series).

Cisco Systems