Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Intel MPI Benchmark(IMB) using OpenMPI - Segmentation-fault error message.
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-06 09:54:02

On May 1, 2008, at 10:43 AM, Lenny Verkhovsky wrote:

> (a) I did modify make_mpich makefile present in IMB-3.1/src folder
> giving the path for openmpi. Here I am using same mpirun as built
> from openmpi(v-1.2.5) also did mention in PATH & LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

That should be fine.

> (b) What is the command on console to run any new additional file
> with MPI API contents call. Do I need to add in Makefile.base of
> IMB-3.1/src folder or mentioning in console as a command it takes
> care alongwith "$mpirun IMB-MPI1"

I don't understand this question... What exactly are you trying to
do; modify the IMB benchmarks or write your own/new MPI application?

> (c) Does IMB-3.1 need INB(Infiniband) or TCP support to complete
> it's Benchmark routine call, means do I need to configure and build
> OpnMPI with Infiniband stack too?
>
> IMB is a set of benchmarks that can be run between 1 and more machines
> it calls for MPI API that does all the communication
> MPI decides how to run ( IB or TCP or shared memory ) according to
> priorities and all possible ways to be connected to another host.

Lenny is right; in general Open MPI will decide what is the best
network stack to use to communicate with a peer MPI process. So
whether you build Open MPI with IB support and/or TCP support is up to
you. Generally, you want to build Open MPI with support for your high
speed network (e.g., IB) and let Open MPI use it for off-node
communication (OMPI will usually use shared memory for communication
between processes on the same node).

Cisco Systems