Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Build failure on FreeBSD 7
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-04 14:56:10

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On May 3, 2008, at 7:32 PM, Brad Penoff wrote:
>

>> The small commit that Karol originally suggested was just pushed to
>> ompi-trunk. This just simply adds the appropriate header files for
>> FreeBSD (6.2, 6.3 and 7) to be able to compile.
>>

> Good.
>

>> This didn't fix the hanging on the kevent call mentioned in this
>> thread, however, setting the environment variable EVENT_NOKQUEUE did
>> find a work-around. I'm not sure if that is the solution we want for
>> all FreeBSD platforms in the long term (requiring the user to set
>> particular environment variables for particular platforms), but for
>> now at least I can run the MTT tests that I need to (once it gets in a
>> nightly build).
>>

> Unfortunately, I think you're the only one who cares about FreeBSD, so
> it's likely going to be up to you to get it working. :-\ I'm not
> being snide; I'm just saying that it's likely that no one else cares
> about FreeBSD, so no one else will spend cycles on a fix for it -- the
> only thing that people will care about is how the fix affects the rest
> of the code base.
>
> I agree that making people setenv EVENT_NOKQUEUE before running on
> FreeBSD is not desirable. I'm not too much of a fan of your patch,
> though -- is there a better way? E.g., can you extend the test in
> ompi/config/ompi_setup_libevent.c to reliably detect whether kevent
> works on FreeBSD or not? I'm assuming that the test should return
> "no, kevent is not supported" on FreeBSD, as opposed to the "yes, it
> works" that it must be returning today.

In the end I don't care if OMPI runs on FreeBSD of not, but I see that I
might be able to help a little here.

I have been doing some Xen testing that is entirely unrelated to OMPI,
but happens to leave me with installations of FreeBSD 6.2 for i386 and
FreeBSD 7.0 (both i386 and amd86). I will not commit to building and
testing an entire OMPI, but I can offer to try out any configure test
that Brad devises, just to be sure the coverage is more than one
installation.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group