Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Build failure on FreeBSD 7
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-04 07:29:23

On May 3, 2008, at 7:32 PM, Brad Penoff wrote:

> The small commit that Karol originally suggested was just pushed to
> ompi-trunk. This just simply adds the appropriate header files for
> FreeBSD (6.2, 6.3 and 7) to be able to compile.

Good.

> This didn't fix the hanging on the kevent call mentioned in this
> thread, however, setting the environment variable EVENT_NOKQUEUE did
> find a work-around. I'm not sure if that is the solution we want for
> all FreeBSD platforms in the long term (requiring the user to set
> particular environment variables for particular platforms), but for
> now at least I can run the MTT tests that I need to (once it gets in a
> nightly build).

Unfortunately, I think you're the only one who cares about FreeBSD, so
it's likely going to be up to you to get it working. :-\ I'm not
being snide; I'm just saying that it's likely that no one else cares
about FreeBSD, so no one else will spend cycles on a fix for it -- the
only thing that people will care about is how the fix affects the rest
of the code base.

I agree that making people setenv EVENT_NOKQUEUE before running on
FreeBSD is not desirable. I'm not too much of a fan of your patch,
though -- is there a better way? E.g., can you extend the test in
ompi/config/ompi_setup_libevent.c to reliably detect whether kevent
works on FreeBSD or not? I'm assuming that the test should return
"no, kevent is not supported" on FreeBSD, as opposed to the "yes, it
works" that it must be returning today.

Cisco Systems