Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Fix for XLC + libtool issue
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-25 06:35:12

Good to hear that upgrading fixes this problem.

We actually already have an outstanding ticket to upgrade to 2.2.2 (https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/1265
). We were following the Libtool development process closely and
waiting for at least 2.2.2 (get past 2.2.0).

This will definitely happen before OMPI v1.3 ships.

Additionally, Ralf W. recomends to us that we should also upgrade
Autoconf to 2.62 or later. I've been loosely watching that process;
2.62 requires a newer GNU m4 which we haven't yet decided if we want
to require.

I don't know if this will be addressed before v1.3 or not.

On Apr 22, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Sérgio Durigan Júnior wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Taking a look at your website, I could see an issue about compiling
> Open
> MPI shared libs using IBM's XLC compiler + libtool:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-ibm-compilers
>
> Well, I think we have the solution for this: upgrading libtool to the
> latest version seems to work well in this case. So, I'd like to ask
> you
> to upgrade the libtool used by Open MPI to the latest version (2.2.2
> or
> more), and change this FAQ to provide information about how the user
> can
> manually update libtool in older versions of Open MPI.
>
> The instructions for upgrading libtool manually are:
>
> 1) Get the latest libtool package from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool
>
> 2) Untar, compile and install it
>
> 3) Have a fresh and clean Open MPI source tree
>
> 4) Inside there, run 'libtoolize --force'
>
> 5) Then run 'aclocal'
>
> 6) At last, run 'autoreconf --force'
>
> After that, you'll be able to build Open MPI without problems :-).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Sérgio Durigan Júnior
> Linux on Power Toolchain - Software Engineer
> Linux Technology Center - LTC
> IBM Brazil

Cisco Systems