Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] configuring with --enable-mpi-profile option
From: Andreas Knüpfer (andreas.knuepfer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-11 04:53:01

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Swati Kher wrote:

> 2) If vampire trace by default is built with openmpi, if I set
> VT_CC flag for compiling my application, where I can view ".vtf" files
> after a parallel run ?

Let me answer the second question.

First of all, there is no default VT_CC flag in OMPI's compiler wrappers. To
compile your MPI application with VampirTrace support, please replace the MPI
compiler wrappers in your Makefiles like this:

mpicc --> mpicc-vt
mpicxx --> mpicxx-vt
mpif90 --> mpif90-vt

and so on. After running the resulting executable you'll find an OTF trace
(Open Trace Format) in your pwd. Note that it consists of multiple files
which need to be copied/moved together. The former VTF format is still
supported by VampirTrace, yet not in the version that comes with Open MPI.

The Open Trace Format can be read by several performance analysis tools, e.g.
Vampir and VampirServer, Kojak/Scalasca Tools, TAU tools and maybe already by
OpenSpeedShop, which is going to have OTF support afaik.

Best rgards, Andreas

--
Dipl. Math. Andreas Knuepfer,
Center for Information Services and