Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RMAPS rank_file component patch and modifications for review
From: Lenny Verkhovsky (lennyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-27 08:02:09

OK.

> - I don't have a problem with setting the paffinity slot list from
> ompi_mpi_init, but we should probably make the corresponding MCA
> parameter be an "mpi_*" name; because this is functionality that is
> being exported through the MPI layer. Additionally, the name
> "mpi_<whatever>" will make more sense to users; they don't know
> anything about opal/orte -- "mpi_<whatever>" resonates with running
> their MPI job.
I think in opal_paffinity_base it makes more sense and ompi_mpi_init
will look cleaner.

> - I don't think we can delete the MCA param ompi_paffinity_alone; it
> exists in the v1.2 series and has historical precedent.
It will not be deleted,
It will just use the same infrastructure ( slot_list parameter and
opal_base functions ). It will be transparent for the user.

User have 3 ways to setup it
1. mca opal_paffinity_alone 1
        This will set paffinity as it did before
2. mca opal_paffinity_slot_list "slot_list"
        Used to define slots that will be used for all ranks on all
nodes.
3. mca rmaps_rank_file_path rankfile
        Assigning ranks to CPUs according to the file

Rank_file_path can be used with opal_paffinity_slot_list
In this case all undefined by rankfile ranks will be assigned by
opal_paffinity_slot_list mca parameter.