Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] FreeBSD timer_base_open error?
From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-25 22:31:39

On Mar 25, 2008, at 6:16 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> "linux" is the name of the component. It looks like opal/mca/timer/
> linux/timer_linux_component.c is doing some checks during component
> open() and returning an error if it can't be used (e.g,. if it's not
> on linux).
>
> The timer components are a little different than normal MCA
> frameworks; they *must* be compiled in libopen-pal statically, and
> there will only be one of them built.
>
> In this case, I'm guessing that linux was built simply because nothing
> else was selected to be built, but then its component_open() function
> failed because it didn't find /proc/cpuinfo.

This is actually incorrect. The linux component looks for /proc/
cpuinfo and builds if it founds that file. There's a base component
that's built if nothing else is found. The configure logic for the
linux component is probably not the right thing to do -- it should
probably be modified to check both for that file (there are systems
that call themselves "linux" but don't have a /proc/cpuinfo) is
readable and that we're actually on Linux.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett
   There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to