Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Switching away from SVN?
From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-24 16:23:25

I agree with George and Edgar. I would further add the notion that
whatever we decide upon should also work well with MTT. A lot of the
support tools for Open MPI are tied to the notion of a continuously
increasing 'r' number (MTT, nightly tarballs, Trac?, ...), so we
should be careful moving to something that does not have something
like that.

I'm also not fully convinced that a switch away from Subversion is
necessary. I think I still need to be convinced that the notion of
switching isn't a solution looking for a problem. Is Subversion really
that bad? How much effort will it take to convert to something new
[e.g., change all the support tools, educate all developers, ...]? I
think that answers are that Subversion is not really that bad (and may
get better in upcoming releases), and it will take quite a lot of work
to switch to something else.

At the end of the day if the community decides on something else then
I'll convert, but I guess I'm still not fully understanding the
motivation behind the need to switch.

Just my two cents,
Josh