Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Switching away from SVN?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-24 11:15:29

Along the same lines, I did a trail conversion of the SVN repo to
Mercurial and have posted a tarball here (ompi.hg.tar.bz2):

     http://www.open-mpi.org/~jsquyres/unofficial/

You can't serve Mercurial repos through HTTP without modifying the
Apache config, which I didn't want to do just to let people play with
Mercurial. You can download the tarball and expand it, and it should
be a fully-functional HG repo.

On Mar 21, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> Cool -- thanks Roland!
>
> For anyone who wants to play with the entire history of OMPI in git
> (as of last night or so -- this git repository is *not* being kept in
> sync with SVN), I cloned the tree that Roland created and put it here:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/~jsquyres/unofficial/ompi.git
>
> So you can:
>
> git clone http://www.open-mpi.org/~jsquyres/unofficial/ompi.git
>
> And then work with local git operations from there.
>

> On Mar 20, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Roland Dreier wrote:
>> <http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html> has some interesting
>> info about svn->git conversions (and svn vs. next-gen distibuted
>> systems in general).
>>
>> Also, out of curiousity I tried doing
>>
>> git-svn clone --stdlayout http://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/ompi/
>>
>> and it seemed to work fine (git-svn is part of the main git
>> distribution). The only obvious thing missing is that you would
>> probably want to set up an author file for a real conversion, so that
>> you get real names instead of just "jsquyres". It took a while to
>> run, mostly because it has to grab each svn changeset one by one.
>>
>> The interesting thing is that a checkout of the current ompi tree
>> seems to be about 37 MB, while .git directory of my repository, which
>> has the entire history of all branches of the svn repository plus
>> 1.6MB of svn metadata is 36 MB. And git can do fun stuff like
>>
>> git diff v1.1..v1.2
>>
>> in half a second (it generates a 274858 line diff). It can generate
>> the full 116320 line (11164 commit) log of the trunk in .3 seconds.
>>
>> Jeff, if you want to see the repository, it is in
>>
>> /data/home/roland/ompi.git
>>
>> Feel free to make it available however you want (it's your data of
>> course).
>>
>> - R.

> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems