Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Switching away from SVN?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-24 11:07:42

On Mar 24, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

>> git clone http://www.open-mpi.org/~jsquyres/unofficial/ompi.git
>>
>> And then work with local git operations from there.
> It is very useful! Is it possible to sync it with SVN nightly?

I think that's the larger open question: should we move the OMPI repo
to a different technology (such as git or hg)? Right now that git
repo is *not* being updated.

My $0.02 is that I'd rather address the larger question first. If we
want to setup read-only gateways to other SCMs, I think it would be
simplest to do it after the [potential] conversion to a new SCM.
Otherwise, we'll potentially multiple the setup-the-gateway work (once
for SVN, once for something else).

> The only problem I have with it is that git doesn't track empty
> directories and autogen.sh fails without ompi/mca/io/romio/romio/
> confdb.

Same with Mercurial. Note that we put a .placeholder file in there
recently (on the trunk).

>> On Mar 20, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Roland Dreier wrote:
>>> <http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html> has some interesting
>>> info about svn->git conversions (and svn vs. next-gen distibuted
>>> systems in general).
>>>
>>> Also, out of curiousity I tried doing
>>>
>>> git-svn clone --stdlayout http://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/ompi/
>>>
>>> and it seemed to work fine (git-svn is part of the main git
>>> distribution). The only obvious thing missing is that you would
>>> probably want to set up an author file for a real conversion, so
>>> that
>>> you get real names instead of just "jsquyres". It took a while to
>>> run, mostly because it has to grab each svn changeset one by one.
>>>
>>> The interesting thing is that a checkout of the current ompi tree
>>> seems to be about 37 MB, while .git directory of my repository,
>>> which
>>> has the entire history of all branches of the svn repository plus
>>> 1.6MB of svn metadata is 36 MB. And git can do fun stuff like
>>>
>>> git diff v1.1..v1.2
>>>
>>> in half a second (it generates a 274858 line diff). It can generate
>>> the full 116320 line (11164 commit) log of the trunk in .3 seconds.
>>>
>>> Jeff, if you want to see the repository, it is in
>>>
>>> /data/home/roland/ompi.git
>>>
>>> Feel free to make it available however you want (it's your data of
>>> course).
>>>
>>> - R.
>>

>> --
>> Jeff Squyres