Subject: [OMPI devel] Makefile.am updates
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-21 13:37:01

Just wanted to give a heads-up to developers on two changes that will
be coming in in the [hopefully] not-distant future:

1. Per recent off-list discussions about the build system, I have done
some cleanups and standardizations in the various */tools/*/
Makefile.am files. A commit is coming soon that will:
   - Somewhat simplify these Makefile.am's
   - Make them consistent with each other (do similar actions in
similar ways)
   - Update to remove old kruft that was required by older versions of
AM

This work is nearly done; barring any problems from a code review,
it'll likely be committed soon.

2. Per discussions on the GNU libtool list and some advice from the
ever-helpful Ralf W., I now know how to remove much of the code
duplication in nearly every OMPI component Makefile.am. The resulting
Makefile.am's are much smaller and simpler.

This work is barely started; I'll likely do this with low frequency
over time (when I'm bored/brain-fried/procrastinating real work/etc.)
and make a big commit when it's all done.

Cisco Systems