Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Switching away from SVN?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-21 08:52:03

Cool -- thanks Roland!

For anyone who wants to play with the entire history of OMPI in git
(as of last night or so -- this git repository is *not* being kept in
sync with SVN), I cloned the tree that Roland created and put it here:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/~jsquyres/unofficial/ompi.git

So you can:

     git clone http://www.open-mpi.org/~jsquyres/unofficial/ompi.git

And then work with local git operations from there.

On Mar 20, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Roland Dreier wrote:
> <http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html> has some interesting
> info about svn->git conversions (and svn vs. next-gen distibuted
> systems in general).
>
> Also, out of curiousity I tried doing
>
> git-svn clone --stdlayout http://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/ompi/
>
> and it seemed to work fine (git-svn is part of the main git
> distribution). The only obvious thing missing is that you would
> probably want to set up an author file for a real conversion, so that
> you get real names instead of just "jsquyres". It took a while to
> run, mostly because it has to grab each svn changeset one by one.
>
> The interesting thing is that a checkout of the current ompi tree
> seems to be about 37 MB, while .git directory of my repository, which
> has the entire history of all branches of the svn repository plus
> 1.6MB of svn metadata is 36 MB. And git can do fun stuff like
>
> git diff v1.1..v1.2
>
> in half a second (it generates a 274858 line diff). It can generate
> the full 116320 line (11164 commit) log of the trunk in .3 seconds.
>
> Jeff, if you want to see the repository, it is in
>
> /data/home/roland/ompi.git
>
> Feel free to make it available however you want (it's your data of
> course).
>
> - R.

Cisco Systems