Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Switching away from SVN?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-18 20:10:14

On Mar 18, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Roland Dreier wrote:

>> Primary reasons for doing the switch are:
>>
>> - distributed repositories are attractive/useful
>> - git/Mercurial branching and merging are *way* better than SVN
>> --> note that SVN v1.5 is supposed to be *much* better than v1.4
>
> Also, svn is much slower for lots of things, to the point where it
> becomes a usability issue. And supporting disconnected operation (aka
> "working on a plane") is another really nice bonus.

This is a good point - I've [briefly] used both git and Mercurial; as
part of their "*way* better support for branching and merging" is
speed. A goodly-sized merge in SVN can take an hour or more. I've
done goodly-sized merges in git and hg in seconds (or minutes).

>> - how to import all the SVN history to the new system
>
> Should not be a big problem -- since svn at least has atomic
> changesets, you avoid all the pain of parsing cvs repositories, and
> there fairly mature svn importers for distributed systems.

Agreed -- I'm sure it *can* be done; we just have to spend a few
cycles to figure out how to do it properly.

Cisco Systems