Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Switching away from SVN?
From: Roland Dreier (rdreier_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-18 19:02:47

> It's been loosely proposed that we switch away from SVN into a
> different system. This probably warrants some discussion to a) figure
> out if we want to move, and b) *if* we want to move, which system
> should we move to? One has system been proposed: Mercurial -- several
> OMPI developers are using it with good success. I know that some OMPI
> developers use Git, too. Are there other systems that we should
> consider?

As an ompi bystander, I would strongly endorse a switch away from svn.
I think that git, hg and bzr are all roughly equivalent -- they each
have their enthusiastic partisans, but in reality they're all probably
fine. And the difference between svn and any of the newer distributed
systems, especially for a big codebase like ompi, is pretty huge.

> Primary reasons for doing the switch are:
>
> - distributed repositories are attractive/useful
> - git/Mercurial branching and merging are *way* better than SVN
> --> note that SVN v1.5 is supposed to be *much* better than v1.4

Also, svn is much slower for lots of things, to the point where it
becomes a usability issue. And supporting disconnected operation (aka
"working on a plane") is another really nice bonus.

> - how to import all the SVN history to the new system

Should not be a big problem -- since svn at least has atomic
changesets, you avoid all the pain of parsing cvs repositories, and
there fairly mature svn importers for distributed systems.

 - R.