Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Fwd: OpenMPI changes
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-06 15:52:32

On Mar 5, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Greg Watson wrote:

> Looking back through the mailing list, I can only see two references
> that seem relevant to this. One was titled "Major reduction in ORTE"
> and does allude to the event model changes. The other "OMPI/ORTE and
> tools" talks about "alternative methods of interaction". Neither
> mentions changes to the spawning and

I thought that the subject "major reduction in ORTE" would have been
an eyebrow-raiser. I'm not trying to be snarky; my only point is that
if you have a stake in using ORTE, it would probably be worthwhile to
monitor what is happening and raise your hand / be part of the
community to help shape its direction. We all know that open source !
= free.

Perhaps you and Brad can have lunch every once in a while to discuss
ORTE. :-)

> I/O forwarding functionality
> (that I can see),

FWIW: nothing has changed with regards to I/O forwarding functionality
or APIs (other than a big pile of bug fixes somewhere in the middle of
the 1.2 series). Ralph mentioned recently that it doesn't work beyond
the model that mpirun uses (e.g., having multiple taps for the same
stdout), but it *never* has. We have some open bugs in trac about
this, but no one has fixed them yet.

If I ever get the time, I'd like to do *lots* of things with IOF, but
I don't know when that will happen...

> or that this would be the exclusive mechanism for
> interaction. In the future (assuming there are more changes), it would
> be helpful if there was at least some information about what specific
> API's are being removed.

I can't speak for Ralph, but I think if anyone had asked, I'm guessing
that he would have been happy to have provided whatever information he
had. However, I'm not entirely sure that it was possible to know
everything that was going to happen when first embarking on this "ORTE
reduction" journey -- I seem to recall that questions and problems
arose along the way that caused shifting of ORTE plans during the
reduction / reorganization.

I think there were *some* updates about this stuff on the mailing list
and on the weekly teleconferences, but I wasn't aware that anyone
outside of OMPI cared about the ORTE underneath OMPI -- so at least I
never bothered to re-broadcast outside of our group... :-\

Cisco Systems