Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [RFC] Reduce the number of tests run by make check
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-06 10:30:09

Tim and I talked about this on IM. We'd like to amend the proposal:

1. Remove these tests from make check, but leave them in SVN per the
original proposal.
2. File a ticket to make carto selection not fail when no components
are found (I filed https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/1232).
3. File a ticket to amend "make check" (or similar) with some scripty-
foo to do the following:
     - find all components in the build tree
     - sym link them all into a single tree
     - setenv OMPI_MCA_component_path to that tree
     - then run the tests
This will allow actually testing the components in the build tree
(without an OMPI installation)

Tim and I don't have time to do #3 in the near future -- perhaps
someone else can do it. It will pave the way for future, more
comprehensive tests in the tree (since we won't be bound by the "must
have OMPI installed" limitation).

On Mar 4, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Tim Prins wrote:

> WHAT: Reduce the number of tests run by make check
>
> WHY: Some of the tests will not work properly until Open MPI is
> installed. Also, many of the tests do not really test anything.
>
> WHERE: See below.
>
> TIMEOUT: COB Friday March 14

> We have been having many problems with make check over the years.
> People
> tend to change things and not update the tests, which lead to tarball
> generation failures and nightly test run failures. Furthermore, many
> of
> the tests test things which have not changed for years.
>
> So with this in mind, I propose only running the following tests when
> 'make check' is run:
> asm/atomic_barrier
> asm/atomic_barrier_noinline
> asm/atomic_spinlock
> asm/atomic_spinlock_noinline
> asm/atomic_math
> asm/atomic_math_noinline
> asm/atomic_cmpset
> asm/atomic_cmpset_noinline
>
> We we would no longer run the following tests:
> class/ompi_bitmap_t
> class/opal_hash_table_t
> class/opal_list_t
> class/opal_value_array_t
> class/opal_pointer_array
> class/ompi_rb_tree_t
> memory/opal_memory_basic
> memory/opal_memory_speed
> memory/opal_memory_cxx
> threads/opal_thread
> threads/opal_condition
> datatype/ddt_test
> datatype/checksum
> datatype/position
> peruse/mpi_peruse
>
> These tests would not be deleted from the repository, just made so
> they
> do not run by default.

Cisco Systems