Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [RFC] Default hostfile MCA param
From: Edgar Gabriel (gabriel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-04 11:05:07

Tim Prins wrote:
> We have used '^' elsewhere to indicate not, so maybe just have the
> syntax be if you put '^' at the beginning of a line, that node is not used.
>
> So we could have:
> n0
> n1
> ^headnode
> n3

this would sound fine for me.

> I understand the idea of having a flag to indicate that all nodes below
> a certain point should be ignored, but I think this might get confusing,
> and I'm unsure how useful it would be. I just see the usefulness of this
> to block out a couple of nodes by default. Besides, if you do want to
> block out many nodes, any reasonable text editor allows you to insert
> '^' in front of any number of lines easily.
>
> Alternatively, for the particular situation that Edgar mentions, it may
> be good enough just to set rmaps_base_no_schedule_local in the mca
> params default file.

hm, ok, here is another flag which I was not aware of. Anyway, I can
think of other scenarios where this feature could be useful, e.g. when
hunting down performance problems on a cluster and you would like to
avoid to have to get a new allocation or do a major rewrite of the
hostfile every time. Or including an I/O node into an allocation (in
order to have it exclusively), but make sure that no MPI process gets
scheduled onto the node.

Thanks
Edgar

> One question though: If I am in a slurm allocation which contains n1,
> and there is a default hostfile that contains "^n1", will I run on 'n1'?
>
> I'm not sure what the answer is, I know we talked about the precedence
> earlier...
>
> Tim
>
> Ralph H Castain wrote:
>> I personally have no objection, but I would ask then that the wiki be
>> modified to cover this case. All I require is that someone define the syntax
>> to be used to indicate "this is a node I do -not- want used", or
>> alternatively a flag that indicates "all nodes below are -not- to be used".
>>
>> Implementation isn't too hard once I have that...
>>

>> On 3/3/08 9:44 AM, "Edgar Gabriel" <gabriel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ralph,
>>>
>>> could this mechanism be used also to exclude a node, indicating to never
>>> run a job there? Here is the problem that I face quite often: students
>>> working on the homework forget to allocate a partition on the cluster,
>>> and just type mpirun. Because of that, all jobs end up running on the
>>> front-end node.
>>>
>>> If we would have now the ability to specify in a default hostfile, to
>>> never run a job on a specified node (e.g. the front end node), users
>>> would get an error message when trying to do that. I am aware that
>>> that's a little ugly...
>>>
>>> THanks
>>> edgar

Edgar Gabriel
Assistant Professor
Parallel Software Technologies Lab      http://pstl.cs.uh.edu
Department of Computer Science          University of Houston
Philip G. Hoffman Hall, Room 524        Houston, TX-77204, USA
Tel: +1 (713) 743-3857                  Fax: +1 (713) 743-3335