Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [OMPI svn] svn:open-mpi r17635
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-28 15:03:49

On Feb 28, 2008, at 2:32 PM, George Bosilca wrote:

> I do not caution this kind of support. Subversion is the official
> version control system for Open MPI. If one decide to use another
> version control system, then he/she should add this file in their
> own repository.

Not to start a religious war, but... :-)

I agree that SVN is the official repo of OMPI. But some of us are
using other SCM's in order to do distributed development (e.g.,
Mercurial). It allows us to test on a variety of platforms without a)
lots of commits back to SVN, and b) committing potentially untested /
broken code back to SVN before it has been tested / fixed.

Mercurial (and others) are different from SVN in that they are
distributed by nature (whereas SVN has a singe, common repo). Hence,
it's not a matter of just committing a single helper file back to your
top-level Mercurial repo because you have multiple top-level Mercurial
repo's. The OMPI SVN is the only repo that they all have in common.

> If the community need this file, then someone should devote and
> commit it back.

Er... isn't that what Ralph did? :-)

If it hadn't been named .hg<something> you might not have noticed. :-D

Perhaps we could call it .not-empty or .placeholder or something
else? I don't see the harm in having this file there.

> Eventually, the same person should consider submitting a patch to
> ROMIO developers ...

Sounds more like a Mercurial bug to me, actually...

Cisco Systems