For those of you working with the revised trunk, we made some significant
changes to the way we control debugging output in the ORTE layer. We tried
to make it more consistent so you wouldn't have to keep searching the source
code to figure out how to get debug output for a particular area of the
What we settled on was the use of "verbosity". Basically, you get debugging
output in the following ways:
1. for any framework, setting -mca framework_base_verbose x" will turn on
debugging output for that framework. A verbosity < 5 will get various levels
of debug from the individual components. Verbosity > 5 will add various
levels of debug output from any base functions.
NOTE: one major change from prior ORTE versions - you no longer have to
specify --debug-daemons to get debug output from an orted's frameworks. Just
specify the framework verbosity as above and you will see the orteds output
2. for the non-framework parts of orte, set --debug-devel (or -d) to see
this from mpirun, and set --debug-daemons to see it from the daemons. There
is a verbosity parameter defined for this, but it hasn't been implemented
NOTE: setting these will -not- give you any debug info from the frameworks!
You need to set that separately. There are some places in the code that
probably violate this, but we are hoping to clean those up over time.
Another important thing to note is that the debug output was pretty
universally converted to OPAL_OUTPUT_VERBOSE macros. These macros do -not-
compile in non-debug builds. Hence, please note that you will -not- get
debug output from an optimized build. This was done to eliminate a continual
set of "if" statements being executed in optimized builds.
While we tried to sweep the code base and clean this all up, we cannot
guarantee we caught everything. If you come across something that we missed,
please let me know or revamp it to fit the above description.