Open MPI logo

Open MPI Development Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |  

This web mail archive is frozen.

This page is part of a frozen web archive of this mailing list.

You can still navigate around this archive, but know that no new mails have been added to it since July of 2016.

Click here to be taken to the new web archives of this list; it includes all the mails that are in this frozen archive plus all new mails that have been sent to the list since it was migrated to the new archives.

Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Scheduled merge of ORTE devel branch to trunk
From: Ralph H Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-14 10:37:36

Update on this plan...

I am going to delay merging the branch over to the trunk for awhile, perhaps
several weeks, for several reasons:

1. the trunk is somewhat unstable at the moment. Things are going in and
being backed out, errors in recent commits being found and corrected, etc.
at a pace I simply cannot track during a merge

2. I am still waiting for Galen's commit of the CNL code

3. we are about to hit a long weekend, and I need to get moving again on

I had no major conflicts when sync'ing the branch with the trunk, so I don't
think the eventual merge will be a problem. For now, though, perhaps it is
better to let the trunk settle down a little before introducing another
major perturbation.

We can revisit this during Tues telecon and see where we go from here.


On 2/12/08 7:16 PM, "Ralph Castain" <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> laid plans of mice and men, as they say.
> We were just having -way- too much fun here at IBM today going over the new
> ORTE design, planning for future scalability changes, etc., so American
> decided to cancel my flight back home! So thoughtful!
> I will be spending my Wed (hopefully!) enroute back home. It looks like it
> will be Thurs before I can do the merge. My apologies to all - but I would
> really rather not try to do it from a notebook computer in an airline
> terminal!
> Ralph
> On 2/12/08 9:54 AM, "Jeff Squyres" <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Ralph --
>> We talked about this on the OMPI con call today and everyone agrees
>> that this seems to be a good plan. Just as a safety net: if the merge
>> goes disastrously wrong and you're unavailable Thu/Fri this week, we
>> can just back it out and try again later.
>> Thanks!
>> On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:37 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:
>>> Hello all
>>> Per last week's telecon, we planned the merge of the latest ORTE devel
>>> branch to the OMPI trunk for after Sun had committed its C++
>>> changes. That
>>> happened over the weekend.
>>> Therefore, based on the requests at the telecon, I will be merging the
>>> current ORTE devel branch to the trunk on Wed 2/13. I'll make the
>>> commit
>>> around 4:30pm Eastern time - will send out warning shortly before
>>> the commit
>>> to let you know it is coming. I'll advise of any delays.
>>> This will be a snapshot of that devel branch - it will include the
>>> upgraded
>>> launch system, remove the GPR, add the new tool communication
>>> library, allow
>>> arbitrary mpiruns to interconnect, supports the revamped hostfile and
>>> dash-host behaviors per the wiki, etc.
>>> However, it is incomplete and contains some known flaws. For example,
>>> totalview support has not been enabled yet. Comm_spawn, which is
>>> currently
>>> broken on the OMPI trunk, is fixed - but singleton comm_spawn remains
>>> broken. I am in the process of establishing support for direct and
>>> standalone launch capabilities, but those won't be in the merge. I
>>> have
>>> updated all of the launchers, but can only certify the SLURM, TM,
>>> and RSH
>>> ones to work - the Xgrid launcher is known to not compile, so if you
>>> have
>>> Xgrid on your Mac, you need to tell the build system to not build that
>>> component.
>>> This will give you a chance to look over the new arch, though, and I
>>> understand that people would like to begin having a chance to test and
>>> review the revised code. Hopefully, you will find most of the bugs
>>> to be
>>> minor.
>>> Please advise of any concerns about this merge. The schedule is
>>> totally
>>> driven by the requests of the MPI team members (delaying the merge
>>> has no
>>> impact on ORTE development), so requests to shift the schedule
>>> should be
>>> discussed amongst the community.
>>> Thanks
>>> Ralph
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> devel mailing list
>>> devel_at_[hidden]
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]