Open MPI logo

Open MPI Development Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |  

This web mail archive is frozen.

This page is part of a frozen web archive of this mailing list.

You can still navigate around this archive, but know that no new mails have been added to it since July of 2016.

Click here to be taken to the new web archives of this list; it includes all the mails that are in this frozen archive plus all new mails that have been sent to the list since it was migrated to the new archives.

Subject: [OMPI devel] Scheduled merge of ORTE devel branch to trunk
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-11 23:37:45

Hello all

Per last week's telecon, we planned the merge of the latest ORTE devel
branch to the OMPI trunk for after Sun had committed its C++ changes. That
happened over the weekend.

Therefore, based on the requests at the telecon, I will be merging the
current ORTE devel branch to the trunk on Wed 2/13. I'll make the commit
around 4:30pm Eastern time - will send out warning shortly before the commit
to let you know it is coming. I'll advise of any delays.

This will be a snapshot of that devel branch - it will include the upgraded
launch system, remove the GPR, add the new tool communication library, allow
arbitrary mpiruns to interconnect, supports the revamped hostfile and
dash-host behaviors per the wiki, etc.

However, it is incomplete and contains some known flaws. For example,
totalview support has not been enabled yet. Comm_spawn, which is currently
broken on the OMPI trunk, is fixed - but singleton comm_spawn remains
broken. I am in the process of establishing support for direct and
standalone launch capabilities, but those won't be in the merge. I have
updated all of the launchers, but can only certify the SLURM, TM, and RSH
ones to work - the Xgrid launcher is known to not compile, so if you have
Xgrid on your Mac, you need to tell the build system to not build that

This will give you a chance to look over the new arch, though, and I
understand that people would like to begin having a chance to test and
review the revised code. Hopefully, you will find most of the bugs to be

Please advise of any concerns about this merge. The schedule is totally
driven by the requests of the MPI team members (delaying the merge has no
impact on ORTE development), so requests to shift the schedule should be
discussed amongst the community.