Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] VT in trunk + how to disable
From: Terry Dontje (Terry.Dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-01 10:17:33

Josh Hursey wrote:
> Should the default be to *disable* vampirtrace?
>
> I mention this since, I assume, most people do not depend on this
> tool for every Open MPI install. Meaning that Open MPI does not
> require this integration for correct MPI functionality unlike
> something like ROMIO [example of opt-out functionality which is 3rd
> party].
>
> So I would suggest to the group that vampirtrace be an opt-in
> functionality.
>
> What do others think?

I am not completely against disabling it as a default. However, once it
builds consistently having it enabled by default shouldn't really cause
any problems for those not directly using it (well outside of more time
to compile). I imagine changing the default probably would help ORTE
move forward but then I wonder if we will run into issues of the vampire
stuff not being able to resolve their issues because of ORTE problems
put back to the trunk.

--td