Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Fwd: === CREATE FAILURE ===
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-24 16:44:04

IMHO shortening the names now just delays dealing with the problem.

I see 2 possible approaches to a long-term fix:
1) add some machinery on the build system to complain when a filename
would exceed 99 chars (before the file gets into svn).
2) probe at configure time for a $TAR command that produces the POSIX format

I favor #2

-Paul

Aurélien Bouteiller wrote:
> Ok, I'll change the filenames.
>
> Aurelien
>
> Le 24 janv. 08 à 15:43, Brian W. Barrett a écrit :
>

>> Automake forces v7 mode so that Solaris tar can untar the tarball,
>> IIRC.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Aurélien Bouteiller wrote:
>>

>>> According to posix, tar should not limit the file name length. Only
>>> the v7 implementation of tar is limited to 99 characters. GNU tar has
>>> never been limited in the number of characters file names can have.
>>> You should check with tar --help that tar on your machine defaults to
>>> format=gnu or format=posix. If it defaults to format=v7 I am curious
>>> why. Are you using solaris ?
>>>
>>> Aurelien

[snip]

Future Technologies Group