Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Integrating the memchecker branch
From: Rainer Keller (keller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-15 09:24:10

Hi Jeff,
thanks for taking note.

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 05:12, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> I have not had a chance to check out the tmp branch for this (I'm
> currently in an airport without network access), but it all sounds
> good in principle to me. Forgive me if I've said these things before,
> but here's what I'd like to see if possible:
>
> - configure output shows whether this stuff is enabled
> - e.g., does it check for the relevant macros in valgrind's header
> files? (I assume so; I've totally forgotten...) Ensure that these
> checks are output in configure's stdout
Both yes.

> - ompi_info shows whether this stuff is enabled
It shows the memchecker-valgrind mca.
Apart from showing the mca, no (so no separate line for
valgrind-kind-of-checking enabled).

If it should, we can do that of course... But I don't think it's necessary.

> - obvious user-level configure errors raise errors/abort configure
> (E.g., --enable-memchecker is specified but --enable-debug is not), or
> make some obvious assumptions about "what the user meant" (e.g., if --
> enable-memchecker is specified by --enable-debug is not, then
> automatically enable --enable-debug and output a message saying so).
Currently not done.
It is not really a requirement, though! (although it does not make much sense
without).

> - I think we've said ad nauseam that there should be zero performance
> penalty for when this stuff is not enabled, and I'm guessing that this
> is still true. :-)
100% ,-]
No code added in the default case.

> - some kind of documentation should be written up about how to use
> this stuff, perhaps in the FAQ (e.g., pairing it with a valgrind-
> enabled libibverbs for max benefit, etc.).
Yep.
Will prepare a text, do You need it in HTML, or plain-text?

Thanks,
Rainer

Dipl.-Inf. Rainer Keller   http://www.hlrs.de/people/keller
 HLRS                          Tel: ++49 (0)711-685 6 5858
 Nobelstrasse 19                  Fax: ++49 (0)711-685 6 5832
 70550 Stuttgart                    email: keller_at_[hidden]
 Germany                             AIM/Skype:rusraink