Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] processor affinity -- OpenMPI/batch system integration
From: Pak Lui (Pak.Lui_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-11 06:22:01

Hi Rayson,

I guess this is an issue only for SGE. I believe there is something
called 'carto' framework is being developed to represent the node-socket
relationship in order to address the multicore issue. I think there are
other folks in the team who are actively working on it so they probably
can address it better than I can. Here some descriptions on the wiki for it:

https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/OnHostTopologyDescription

Rayson Ho wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm from the Sun Grid Engine (SGE) project (
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net ). I am working on processor affinity
> support for SGE.
>
> In 2005, we had some discussions on the SGE mailing list with Jeff on
> this topic. As quad-core processors are available from AMD and Intel,
> and higher core count per socket is coming soon, I would like to see
> what we can do to come up with a simple interface for the SGE 6.2
> release, which will be available in Q2 this year (or at least into an
> "update" release of SGE6.2 if we couldn't get the changes in on time).
>
> The discussions we had before:
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/BrowseList?list=dev&by=thread&from=7081
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/BrowseList?list=dev&by=thread&from=4803
>
> I looked at the SGE code, the simplest we can do is to set an
> environment variable to tell the task group the processor mask of the
> node before we start each task group. Is it good enough for OpenMPI??
>
> After reading the OpenMPI code, I believe what we need to do is that
> in ompi/runtime/ompi_mpi_init.c , we need to add an else case:
>
> if (ompi_mpi_paffinity_alone) {
> }
> else
> {
> // get processor affinity information from batch system via the env var
> }
>
> Thanks,
> Rayson

- Pak Lui