Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Making an embeddable libev
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-20 09:04:59

Thanks Terry (and thanks to those who sent supportive off-list mails
to me).

For those of you who are wondering what this is all about, it's about
Open MPI upgrading to libev from libevent. Marc's mail was a cross-
post from the libev mailing list (he's the author of the libev
software).

FWIW: libev is good software and is compatible with our license; we'll
be using it. There's no further need for discussion.

We now resume our regularly-scheduled programming. Sorry for the
interruption.

On Dec 20, 2007, at 7:48 AM, Terry Dontje wrote:

> Marc,
>
> Jeff is one of the most professional individuals, that rationally
> discusses technical issues and aims to reach a compromises, that I
> know of. The Open MPI community relies on him continually to broker
> solid technical compromises in our community. So to see such
> vitriol leads me to believe there must be a lot more context behind
> this email than is shown below.
> It is quite obvious from both sides name calling and you feeling
> compelled to post to this list what seems to like a sound bite at
> the end of a heated discussion that the two of you (Marc and Jeff)
> have reached an impasse. I think both sides need to go to their
> respective corners, count to ten and then maybe the respective
> communities should consider trying to have two other people come
> together to discuss the issues and concerns.
>
> --td
>
> Terry Dontje - Senior Staff Engineer
> Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>
> Marc Lehmann wrote:
>> [cc sent to openmpi: please, openmpi developers, I really like your
>> project, but if that guy is part of your development effort, please
>> send
>> somebody else who is not trolling on our mailinglist. I am very
>> open to
>> working together with you in ironing out any issues you might
>> encounter,
>> but spreading FUD about libev openly is not something I look
>> forward to in
>> the future. Thanks for your attention].
>>
>> [courtesy cc of replies appreciated, I am not on the list]
[snipped]

Cisco Systems