Subject: [OMPI devel] GROUP_EMPTY fixes break intel tests :-(
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-06 11:01:08

So the changes that we debated and had Edgar put in *do* break some
intel tests. Doh! :-(

    MPI_Group_compare_f
    MPI_Group_intersection2_c
    MPI_Group_intersection2_f

It looks like these tests are specifically calling MPI_GROUP_FREE on
MPI_GROUP_EMPTY.

I note that there is code in the ompi/group/group_*.c code that
specifically calls OBJ_RETAIN on ompi_group_empty when we return
MPI_GROUP_EMPTY. I wonder if this RETAIN was added (and the MPI param
check removed) in reaction to the intel tests...?

Can someone cite again where we thought the spec said that we should
not free GROUP_EMPTY? Was is just on the argument that it's a
predefined handle and therefore should never be freed?

I cannot find any specific text in 1.2 or the errata stating that it's
bad to free GROUP_EMPTY. I agree that this is somewhat counter to the
rest of the MPI philosophy of not freeing predefined handles, though.

Cisco Systems