Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RTE Issue II: Interaction between the ROUTED and GRPCOMM frameworks
From: Brian W. Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-05 11:29:46

To me, (a) is dumb and (c) isn't a non-starter.

The whole point of the component system is to seperate concerns. Routing
topology and collectives operations are two difference concerns. While
there's some overlap (a topology-aware collective doesn't make sense when
using the unity routing structure), it's not overlap in the one implies
you need the other. I can think of a couple of different ways of
implementing the group communication framework, all of which are totally
independent of the particulars of how routing is tracked.

(b) has a very reasonable track record of working well on the OMPI side
(the mpool / btl thing figures itself out fairly well). Bringing such a
setup over to ORTE wouldn't be bad, but a bit hackish.

Of course, there's at most two routed components built at any time, and
the defaults are all most non-debugging people will ever need, so I guess
I"m not convinced (c) isn't a non-starter.

Brian