Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Using ompi_proc_t's proc_name.vpid as Universal rank
From: Tim Prins (tprins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-30 08:22:26

Hi Sajjad,

The vpid is not unique. If you do a comm_spawn then the newly launched
processes will have a new jobid, and their vpids will start at 0. So the
whole process name is unique.

However, there is talk now of being able to join 2 jobs that were
started completely independently. This may lead to the point where a
process name is no longer unique, however this work appears to be a ways
out and as far as I know no decisions have been made on it yet.

Hope this helps,

Tim