From: Terry Dontje (Terry.Dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-05 08:01:07

Currently in order to do message tracing one either has to rely on some
error prone postprocessing of data or replicating some MPI internals up
in the PMPI layer. It would help Sun's tools group (and I believe U
Dresden also) if Open MPI would create a couple APIs that exoposed the
following:

1. PML Message ids used for a request
2. Context id for a specific communicator

I could see a couple ways of providing this information. Either by
extending the PERUSE probes or creating actual functions that one would
pass in a request handle or communicator handle to get the appropriate
data back.

This is just a thought right now which why this email is not in an RFC
format. I wanted to get a feel from the community as to the interest in
such APIs and if anyone may have specific issues with us providing such
interfaces. If the responses seems positive I will follow this message
up with an RFC.

thanks,

--td