From: Sajjad Tabib (stabib_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-31 12:18:36

Hi Jeff,

Now that you mention it, I believe you are right. In fact, I did not know
that I needed to set the req_status.MPI_ERROR in my MTL. I looked at the
mx mtl and realized that req_status.MPI_ERROR is getting set in their
progress function. So, in general, when do you set the
req_status.MPI_ERROR? After a send/recv has completed successfully?

Thank You,

Sajjad Tabib

Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
Sent by: devel-bounces_at_[hidden]
10/31/07 07:29 AM
Please respond to
Open MPI Developers <devel_at_[hidden]>

Open MPI Developers <devel_at_[hidden]>
cc

Subject
Re: [OMPI devel] Question regarding MCA_PML_CM_SEND_REQUEST_INIT_COMMON

I haven't done any work in the cm pml so I can't definitively answer
your question, but wouldn't you set req_status.MPI_ERROR in your MTL
depending on the result of the request?

On Oct 29, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Sajjad Tabib wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was issuing an MPI_Bcast in a sample program and was hitting an
> unknown error; at least that was what MPI was telling me. I traced
> through the code to find my error and came upon
> MCA_PML_CM_REQUEST_INIT_COMMON macro function in pml_cm_sendreq.h.
> I looked at the function and noticed that in this function the
> elements of req_status were getting initialized; however,
> req_status.MPI_ERROR was not. I thought that maybe MPI_ERROR must
> also require initialization because if the value of MPI_ERROR was
> some arbitrary value not equal to MPI_SUCCESS then my program will
> definitely die. Unless, MPI_ERROR is propragating from upper layers
> to signify an error, but I wasn't sure. Anyway, I assumed that
> MPI_ERROR was not propagating from upper layers, so then I set
> req_status.MPI_ERROR to MPI_SUCCUSS and reran my test program. My
> program worked. Now, having gotten my program to work, I thought I
> should run this by you to make sure that MPI_ERROR was not
> propagating from upper layers. Is it ok that I did a:
> "(req_send)->req_base.req_ompi.req_status.MPI_ERROR = MPI_SUCCESS;"
> in MCA_PML_CM_REQUEST_INIT_COMMON?
>
> Thank You,
>
> Sajjad Tabib

Cisco Systems