From: Bogdan Costescu (Bogdan.Costescu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-30 09:06:31

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Tom Mitchell wrote:

> Debian is not supported by the PathScale compiler.

Thanks for your answer. In the meantime I have found a workaround for
my situation, but I'll answer for the sake of the e-mail archives.

> which one is is being used? The new Debian etch 64bit has minimal
> support for 32 bit user space programs by default. It may be
> necessary to install 32 bit libs and or compatability libs to get it
> to run correctly.

It is indeed the 64bit version. However I was able to use the
PathScale compiler to compile other applications without problems, so
it was a specific interaction, probably with the threading support,
that was triggered by Open MPI which showed up. I guess that if the
necessary libs would be missing, the compiler wouldn't work at all or
ldd would show missing libs for the other executables that the
compiler produced.

> I do not know which gcc compiler suite Debian GCC is based on.

gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

> In RHEL4 compare and contrast gcc4-4.1.1-53 .vs. gcc-3.4.6-8. The
> Pathscale compiler is recently rebased to also work with gcc4 based
> systems.

Should I understand from this statement that the PathScale compilers
version 3.0 are only compatible with gcc 3.4 and not with gcc 4.1
based systems ?

> Do foundation Open MPI tools like .../bin/orterun compile and run
> well enough to return errors?

They compile fine, but they give segmentation faults when run.

> Scan the eko man page for PathScale compiler specific options.

I don't quite understand what you mean here... especially what
'specific options' refer to.

> ompi_info does not capture compiler flags so report your configure
> line, make line and environment variables.

One of my earlier messages already included the configure line; the
environment is only modified to set CC=pathcc, etc. and there are no
options on the make line; just like the documentation says that I
should do...

--
Bogdan Costescu
Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868