From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-26 17:56:17

It looks like Dresden took my config/ompi_contrib.m4 file from the
htor-nbc tree and made some updates.

I like the idea of having ompi_info show the contributed packages and
their versions, but just like the rest of the tree, it has to be done
in a modular fashion. As it stands, in the vt-integration branch,
there is still a bunch of VT-specific code outside of the ompi/
contrib/vt tree (e.g., in ompi/tools/ompi_info), and stuff like this:

OMPI_SAVE_VERSION([VT], [VampirTrace],[$srcdir/ompi/contrib/vt/vt/
VERSION],
                   [ompi/include/contrib/vt_version.h])

should not be in ompi_contrib.m4 -- it should be in ompi/contrib/vt/
configure.m4. *OR* (probably more preferably, so that ompi_info can
reap the benefit), it should be done in a generic way so that
ompi_info can see the version info for *all* contributed packages
rather than being hard-coded for just VT.

Also, why is there a VT header file now in ompi/include/contrib? If
you want a header file with VT's version in it, I think it belongs
under the ompi/contrib/vt tree somewhere. If you want to install it
to $includedir, that's a different issue -- it does not need to be
outside of the VT contrib tree to make that happen.

I was really, really hoping that the *only* place that a contrib file
would need to write into the main ompi tree would be the 2 places in
config/ompi_contrib.m4 (and that that would someday be replaced when
I/someone has time to do it in m4 properly, similar to how we do
component discovery -- hence, contributed software would not need to
touch *anywhere* in the main OMPI tree).

Cisco Systems