From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-17 10:12:04

Josh Aune confirms that it's ok for his customers to remove the mvapi
BTL such that it will not be available from v1.3 and forward.

Since the RFC expired and only one person had any comment (which we
resolved off-list), I have therefore svn rm'ed the mvapi BTL from the
OMPI trunk (https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/16483).

Woo hoo!

On Oct 11, 2007, at 2:56 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> Reminder -- this RFC expires tonight.
>
> Speak now or forever hold your peace...
>

> On Oct 5, 2007, at 7:46 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
>> WHAT: Remove the mvapi BTL for the v1.3 release.
>>
>> WHY: None of the IB vendors want to maintain it anymore; our future
>> is OFED. If someone still has mvapi IB drivers, they can use the
>> OMPI v1.2 series.
>>
>> WHERE: svn rm ompi/mca/btl/mvapi
>>
>> WHEN: Before the v1.3 release.
>>
>> TIMEOUT: COB, Thurs, Oct 11, 2007
>>
>> -----
>>
>> None of the IB vendors are interested in maintaining the "mvapi" BTL
>> anymore. Indeed, none of us have updated it with any of the new/
>> interesting/better performance features that went into the openib BTL
>> over the past year (or more). Additionally, some changes may be
>> coming in the OMPI infrastructure that would *require* some revamping
>> in the mvapi BTL -- and no one of Cisco, Voltaire, Mellanox is
>> willing to do it.
>>
>> So we'd like to ditch the mvapi BTL starting with v1.3 and have the
>> official guidance be that if you have mvapi, you need to use the OMPI
>> v1.2 series (i.e., remove this from the SVN trunk in the Very Near
>> Future).
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Squyres
>> Cisco Systems