From: Christian Bell (christian.bell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-15 13:16:10

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Brian Barrett wrote:

> Nooooo! :)
>
> It would be good for everyone to read the Libtool documentation to
> see why versioning on the release number would be a really bad idea.
> Then comment. But my opinion would be that you should change based
> on interface changes, not based on release numbers.

Yes, I second Brian. Notwithstanding what the popular vote is on MPI
ABI compatibility across MPI implementations, I think that
major/minor numbering within an implementation should be used to
indiciate when interfaces break, not give hints as to what release
they pertain to.

    . . christian

--
christian.bell_at_[hidden]
(QLogic Host Solutions Group, formerly Pathscale)