From: Andrew Friedley (afriedle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-06 15:08:51

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> FYI: at the meeting in Paris this week, we decided that it would be a
> good idea to consolidate some "utility" IB code into mca/common/of
> (OpenFabrics) so that it could be shared among multiple components
> (e.g., some IB-specific collective components).
>
> Exactly what will be moved into common is still TBD, but some obvious
> candidates are HCA information/querying/selecting, protection
> domains, etc. QP creation will likely not be worth sharing, but
> we'll see. More info later, but I figured it was worth a "heads up"
> to everyone before you see the /tmp-public/of-common commit in a few
> minutes. :-)

Yeah so the HCA querying/selecting will be good to have separate, as
well as PD/registration stuff -- for example I copied the mpool rdma
callback functions verbatim from the OpenIB BTL to the UD BTL. I don't
think QP creation is worth sharing, nor any of the connection
establishment stuff.

Which reminds me, can we rename the OpenIB BTL to 'ofrc' as discussed on
a call a long time ago? I will do the work if it's cool with everyone.
  Do we care about backwards compatibility of the openib name? I might
need help doing that, but shouldn't be a big deal.

Andrew