From: Sajjad Tabib (stabib_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-11 12:20:41

Hi Aurelien,

Thank you for the pointers. I was able to plug in a component to an
existing framework.

Thanks again,

Sajjad

Aurelien Bouteiller <bouteill_at_[hidden]>
Sent by: devel-bounces_at_[hidden]
09/08/07 01:34 PM
Please respond to
Open MPI Developers <devel_at_[hidden]>

Open MPI Developers <devel_at_[hidden]>
cc

Subject
Re: [OMPI devel] Adding a new component

Hi Sajjad,

First it will depend wether you are writing a new component in an existing
framework (let say you are writing a new BTL for a new type of
interconnect) or a totally new framework (you want to have a family of
component that can manage a totally new functionality in Open MPI). In
each Framework there is a "base" which take care of the component
selection process. If you are just adding a component, you will just need
to provide a mca_mycomponent_init(bool enable_progress_threads, bool
enable_mpi_threads) as described in the mca_component_t structure. The
mca_framework_base_select will then take care of everything for you. If
you want to add a new framework you'll have to create a selection function
by yourself (all along with a full bunch of other functions to populate
the base of the framework). I'll give you more details on this if it is
relevant for you, just ask.

Aurelien

Le 7 sept. 07 à 17:21, Sajjad Tabib a écrit :

Hi,

I am a complete newbie to Open MPI internals and just began browsing the
code and reading up on slides and papers. From what I have read, I learned
that I have to create a new component. What I do not know is how to make
MPI aware of it or should I say make MPI open and select my component. I
found a set of slides that briefly went over adding components. For
example, it briefly described that I must add PARAM_INIT_FILE and
PARAM_CONFIG_FILES options in configure.params, but I'm not sure what
these mean. Does anybody know of any tutorials/documents that could help
me with this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

S Tabib