From: Terry D. Dontje (Terry.Dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-06 09:27:28

Gleb Natapov wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 06:50:43AM -0600, Ralph H Castain wrote:
>

>>WHAT: Decide upon how to handle MPI applications where one or more
>> processes exit without calling MPI_Finalize
>>
>>WHY: Some applications can abort via an exit call instead of
>> calling MPI_Abort when a library (or something else) calls
>> exit. This situation is outside a user's control, so they
>> cannot fix it.
>>
>>WHERE: Refer to ticket #1144 - code changes are TBD
>>
>>WHEN: Up to the group
>>

>[snip]
>

>>Does the general community feel we should do anything here, or is this a
>>"bug" that should be fixed by the entity calling "exit"? I should note that
>>it actually is bad behavior (IMHO) for any library to call "exit" - but
>>then, we do that in some situations too, so perhaps we shouldn't cast
>>stones!
>>
>>Any suggested solutions or comments on whether or not we should do anything
>>would be appreciated.
>>

>IMO (a) should be implemented.

I don't think (b) should be implemented. However, one could register an
atexit handler that calls MPI_finalize. Therefore, the exiting process
would be stuck until everyone else reaches their exits or finalize.

That being said I think (a) probably makes more sense and adheres to the
MPI standard.

--td