From: Tim Prins (tprins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-24 09:50:03

George Bosilca wrote:
> Looks like I'm the only one barely excited about this idea. The
> system that you described, is well known. It been around for around
> 10 years, and it's called PMI. The interface you have in the tmp
> branch as well as the description you gave in your email are more
> than similar with what they sketch in the following two documents:
>
> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/developer/design/pmiv2draft.htm
> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/developer/design/pmiv2.htm
Yes, I am well acquainted with these documents, and the PMI did provide
a lot of inspiration for the RSL.

> Now, there is something wrong with reinventing the wheel if there are
> no improvements. And so far I'm unable to notice any major
> improvement neither compared with PMI nor with what we have today
> (except maybe being able to use PMI inside Open MPI).
This is true. The RSL is designed to handle exactly what we need right
now. This does not mean that the interface cannot be extended later. The
current RSL is a starting point.

> Again, my main concern is about fault tolerance. There is nothing in
> PMI (and nothing in RSL so far) that allow any kind of fault
> tolerance [And believe me re-writing the MPICH mpirun to allow
> checkpoint/restart is a hassle].
I am open to any extensions that are needed. Again, the current version
is designed as a starting point. Also, I have been talking a lot with
Josh and the current RSL is more than enough to support
checkpoint/restart as currently implemented. I would be interested in
talking about any additions that are needed.

> Moreover, your approach seems to
> open the possibility of having heterogeneous RTE (in terms of
> features) which in my view is definitively the wrong approach.
Do you mean having different RTEs that support different features?
Personally I do not see this as a horrible thing. In fact, we already
deal with this problem, since different systems support different
things. For instance, we support comm_spawn on most systems, but not all.

I do not understand why a user should have to use a RTE which supports
every system ever imagined, and provides every possible fault-tolerant
feature, when all they want is a thin RTE.

Tim