From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-13 10:36:19

On Aug 13, 2007, at 6:36 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

>> Pallas, Presta (as i know) also use static rank. So lets start to fix
>> all "bogus" benchmarks :-) ?
>>
> All benchmarks are bogus. I have better optimization. Check a name of
> executable and if this is some know benchmark send one byte instead of
> real message. 3D driver do this why can't we.

Because we'd end up in an arms race of benchmark argv[0] name and
what is hard-coded in Open MPI. Users/customers/partners would soon
enough figure out that this is what we're doing and either use "mv"
or "ln -s" to get around our hack and see the real numbers anyway.

In short: it's an even dirtier trick than header caching (for
example), and we'd get beat up about it.

Cisco Systems